Tuesday, November 9, 2010

the trouble with chickens

Chickens are pretty much the easiest, most useful pet ever. I feed them and water them everyday, just like Kitty, but unlike Kitty they require no further attention. And Kitty never made me breakfast.

Chillin' in the coop
Kitty is not a fan of the ginormous birds

Despite all the benefits, there are a few drawbacks to having chickens:

(1) I am too accustomed to always having and never buying eggs. Just a few weeks ago, they were averaging about an egg a day between the three of them. Then it got cold and productivity slowed way down. Now it's been three days and no eggs. What exactly am I supposed to eat for breakfast now? Or what if I want to bake something? Or make some delicious concoction involving fresh mayonaise? Turrible.

(2) I don't mind people bringing me kitchen scraps to feed the chickens. Believe me, I love feeding them old food. But I get these big bags of whole rotten vegetables from other people. Most of the stuff I feed them from my kitchen is just vegetable trimmings, stale chips, or moldy dairy, all of which is manageable. I wish these people would figure out that the chickens would probably really enjoy most of what they've got, except in smaller pieces. And I never feel like chopping other people's rotten vegetables. So they sit in my fridge and take up more space than my own food. It's gross.

(3) Chickens are dumber than a box of rocks. Mine don't even want to be free-range chickens. I spent a good bit of both Saturday and Monday finishing the fence around my backyard so they could come out of their coop. I got a wood pallet to block one side, and fashioned a fence out of zip ties and recycled fence posts. Hours of jerry-rigging later, I finally have a fully fenced in backyard. So yesterday, I open the coop, lure them out with grapes, and they wander around until it's about to get dark and they go and roost in the coop. All is good. 
    Today, I open the coop and what do they do? Absolutely nothing. It took them almost three hours to figure out they could leave. Geniuses.





      1 comment:

      1. Do those chickens need a bigger coop?
        They don't even have room for a couch!

        ReplyDelete