Saturday, August 14, 2010

let's get everyone up to speed

Since I'm not 100% sure who I'll be telling about this blog, I think it's probably best that I make sure everyone is up to date on my life.

As I'm sure mostly anyone who is reading this will know, I graduated in May from ASU with a Bachelor's in civil engineering with an environmental concentration. I had, previous to that, been doing research in an environmental engineering lab on campus doing mostly stuff with membrane filtration of engineered nanoparticles. I worked with a post-doc named David who, at some point in the Spring semester, was offered a faculty position at Clemson University in South Carolina. Upon accepting the position at Clemson, David in turn offered me a position in his new research group at Clemson. So I spent the remainder of the school year applying to Clemson, fretting over the decision to stay in Arizona or move to South Carolina, and trying to stay focused enough to finish the semester.

Craig and I, super stoked
Finally, May 13th rolled around and I graduated. My family (minus Hayley, who was interviewing for a job, which she ended up getting), my friends Molly and Miguel, and I spent the weekend eating delicious food and relaxing. The next week, my mom and I flew to South Carolina to make the final yes-or-no on Clemson. I toured the environmental engineering research facility (which is removed from the main campus by a few miles), met some professors and other graduate students, and drove around the area to check it out. The labs were nice, the faculty and students friendly, and the area decidedly somewhere I could live for a few years. And thus I made the decision to move to Clemson to start school in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment